By Kelli Batch, Assistant Program Director, Resilient Youth & Families
Youth are faced with many obstacles in today’s world. Luckily, there are many youth out there who are doing their part to make their communities, their world, a better place. That’s what being a member of 4-H is all about. Youth who participate in 4-H are:
- Four times more likely to make contributions to their communities (Grades 7-12);
- Two times more likely to be civically active (Grades 8-12);
- Two times more likely to make healthier choices (Grade 7);
- Two times more likely to participate in Science, Engineering and Computer Technology programs during out-of-school time (Grades 10 – 12); and
- 4-H girls are two times more likely (Grade 10) and nearly three times more likely (Grade 12) to take part in science programs compared to girls in other out-of-school time activities.
Through programs that focus on health, science, citizenship and mentoring, 4-H youth are given the resources and skills to grow into true leaders in their communities. So, as a community, we should do our part to encourage and recognize these dynamic youth, these “true leaders.” During the months of April through June, we at 4-H are honoring youth who are making impacts in their own lives and the lives of others through the 4-H Grow True Leaders Shout Campaign. We want to recognize the hard work and dedication of our 4-H members by giving them shout outs on social media using the hashtag #TrueLeaders. You’ll find our shout outs in places like:
Let’s show our 4-H’ers that their efforts are noticed, appreciated and impactful. Join us at 4-H as we continue to “Grow True Leaders”!